This is a fun walk in every sense of the word. You will start and finish at the domain, so you can enjoy the entertainment, food and refreshments. The walk takes you under the two Rakaia River bridges, though pine plantations, along the Acton Race and at the half way point you will find yourself able to relax by the Rakaia River with a beautiful view of the mountains, weather permitting. Once you have been refreshed you make your way back on a new track past an historic site where the original Rakaia Road/Rail Bridge was opened in 1843. Once you are over the railway lines, you head back to the domain
It’s fascinating and you never know what is round the next corner. You might get your shoes muddy so don’t wear your best. Most of the track is easy going however if it rains the potholes will be full and under the bridges can be a bit sticky and slippery…but that’s half the fun!! Once finished you can relax and enjoy other race goers finishing and don’t forget to check out the spot prizes board. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Map at bottom of this page also or click on image above for a larger version to print
• Wearing the correct footwear is important.
• People entering must be able to walk 6km as there will be no vehicles permitted on the track to pick up tired walkers.
• Entrants must be 5 years and older.
• Under 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Competitors aged 12+ to 18 must have a consent form to in The Salmon Run event. A consent document will be sent on receipt of entry. Please print consent form and bring with you.
Click here for the Consent Form
• You must be finished within 2 hours.
• Water must be carried on a hot day to prevent dehydration.
Click here for a list of Hazards
$15 per person/child or family (4) $40.
Start time – 11 a.m.
The registrations for the Fun Walk will be at the Registration Marquee in the Rakaia Domain. Follow signs from the car park. Registration and number distribution from 10.15 - 10.40am. If registering on the day, it is essential that the paper work is filled in by 10.30am. Everyone must attend the brief being held at 10.45am. These race times are subject to change. To be confirmed shortly.
PLEASE NOTE: The road will be closed into the Domain at 9.55am-10.05am for the start of the bike in the Multisport and Duathlon categories. Care must be taken.
The track is a mixture of road, sand, dirt, stones and small rocks. There will be pot holes, possibility of mud and tree roots to negotiate. If there has been rain it can be slippery. You will not be wlking through any water unless it’s from rain however there is swift flowing water near the track and it is essential that children are supervised at all times.
Environmental code – you will be disqualified if you break this code.
• Don’t deliberately drop rubbish, and if you unintentionally drop rubbish, pick it up.
• Stay on the formed track at all times
• Don’t cross white tape (used to restrict competitors access to sensitive areas and to keep competitors on the track)
Entries will go in a spot prize draw separate from competitors. All entries will be eligible.
Fill in the entry form on line www.thesalmonrun.nz Enter through the Register Tab.
All late registrations made on the 14th October 2017 must be cash payments. No exceptions.
There are three ATMs available in Rakaia at Rakaia Mobil and both Four Square stores.
NOTE: Late fee for entries after Thursday 12th October 2017 is $5 per person/family.
Early Bird Draw – All entries received on or before 30th August 2017 will go into a draw to win your entry back. One winner for every 20 entries received. Winners will be listed on the website.
Confirmation of Entry
A confirmation of entry will be sent to each competitor upon payment.
The Prize giving will be held at the Rakaia Domain.
Refunds will be given on a case by case basis. Should the Salmon Run have to be cancelled due to force majeure there will be no refund of entry fee. Right of entry reserved.
Withdrawals from any stage
Any competitor withdrawing at any stage must report to an official and fill in a withdrawal form. This is critical for health and safety regulations.
The Race Director reserves the right to refuse any entry.
No responsibility is taken by the Race Director or sponsors for any loss or damaged property of competitors, assistants, or friends during the Salmon Run. By completion of the entry form the competitor accepts full responsibility for the risks entailed in competing in the Fun Walk.
Terms and Conditions
I agree not to be sponsored by any company in competition with our major sponsor Jackson Holmes Contracting Ltd. I understand that participation in this contest is at my own risk and I accept full responsibility for my wellbeing during the event.
1. I agree to abide by the Event Rules and with the directions of the officials and their personnel. I agree to allow the organisers and sponsors to use photographs, video and film of me taken during the event to advertise their products or to promote the event at no cost to the organisers and sponsors.
2. I understand that participation in this event is at my own risk and I accept full responsibility for obtaining adequate skills to negotiate and avoid the hazards on the course.
3. I will comply with all the directions given within the rules document, confirmation letter and pre-race briefing.
4. I am fully responsible for my personal belongings at the event.
5. I am in sound physical condition and health, capable of safely competing in the event, and am not aware of any medical condition to the contrary.
6. I shall advise the organisers of any existing medical condition that may affect me and I consent to receiving any medical attention which the organisers or officials deem necessary in the circumstances.
7. By competing, I accept all risks flowing from my participation which could result in loss of life or permanent injury or damage to property. Accordingly, I release all persons or corporations associated directly, or indirectly with the conduct of the event from all claims, demands and proceedings arising out of my participation, and I hereby indemnify them against all liability for all injury, loss or damage arising out of or connected with any act or omission by me in the course of my participation in the event. This release shall extend to and include promoters, sponsors, the organisers of the event and their respective directors, partners, managers, officers, agents, contractors, employees and volunteers including medical and paramedical personnel appointed for the event, the owners, licensees and occupiers of land upon which the event or any part of it is conducted, any statutory body or local authority having control over any land upon which the event is conducted or which is directly or indirectly with the event in any manner whatsoever. This release and indemnity continues forever and binds my heirs, executors, personal representatives and assigns.
8. Refunds will be at the Race Directors discretion.